It’s an old assumption that every Italian family has a sauce recipe and a meatball recipe. I think my family lost both. For years, I’ve been trying to make the perfect sauce and meatballs. Recently, I came pretty close to the perfect meatball recipe.
Makes 8 meatballs
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1/3 cup breadcrumbs or panko
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 egg lightly beaten
8-10 oz. of pomodoro sauce
Fresh grated Parmesan, to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together until just combined
3. Roll each meatball into a ball about 4 tablespoons large until all mixture has been used
4. Add oil to a heavy bottom skillet and place over med-high heat (this skillet will go into the oven as well)
5. Add meatballs to skillet and brown all sides, 3-4 minutes
6. Place the entire skillet of meatballs into the oven for 7-10 minutes
7. Remove skillet from oven and drain as much access oil out of the skillet as possible.
8. Pour your pomodoro sauce over meatballs and simmer 10-15 minutes until warm
Top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, enjoy!
After living in several of the greatest cities in the country, I made Chicago home a short three years ago.Chicago is the perfect hybrid of the Midwest relaxed mentality and chaotic city life that allows me to enjoy so much it has to offer.I’m equal parts tom boy and glam girl,I love watching sports (Go Green!) just as much as I enjoy taking hours to get ready for a night out on the town with my girlfriends.
Latest posts by Mallory Lepage (see all)