It’s an old assumption that every Italian family has a sauce recipe and a meatball recipe. I think my family lost both. For years, I’ve been trying to make the perfect sauce and meatballs. Recently, I came pretty close to the perfect meatball recipe.
Makes 8 meatballs
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1/3 cup breadcrumbs or panko
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
3 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 egg lightly beaten
8-10 oz. of pomodoro sauce
Fresh grated Parmesan, to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together until just combined
3. Roll each meatball into a ball about 4 tablespoons large until all mixture has been used
4. Add oil to a heavy bottom skillet and place over med-high heat (this skillet will go into the oven as well)
5. Add meatballs to skillet and brown all sides, 3-4 minutes
6. Place the entire skillet of meatballs into the oven for 7-10 minutes
7. Remove skillet from oven and drain as much access oil out of the skillet as possible.
8. Pour your pomodoro sauce over meatballs and simmer 10-15 minutes until warm
Top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, enjoy!