That’s right. F*ck a thigh gap. Squat down for what!? SQUAT DOWN FOR BUTTS! That Instagram model you totally have a secret lady crush on? Yeah, that’s right, she lifts weights. Strength training will not make you bulky, so get it out of your head. What will strength training do? Make you look sexy as hell naked, that’s what. Final point before I go over the benefits of strength training… If it was easy to get big and bulky naturally… there would be a lot less Dad Bods… Just saying.
Why Strength Training?
- Strength training is an integral part of a well planned health and fitness program. Without strength training, you’re missing part of the magic formula for long term health and fitness.
- Women don’t build muscle as quickly as men, simply because they lack the proper levels of testosterone to do so, making for them the best testosterone supplements become a part of their training. Women who are muscular are typically lean, whereas men typically get bulkier.
- Being stronger helps across all aspects of life. Stubborn jar lid? Don’t worry bro, I lift. I got it. Go overboard on buying groceries? One trip, through two doors and up five flights of stairs… light weight.
- Looking athletic with some muscle definition will make you stand out, even in clothes. Toned calf muscles and those Louis Vuitton red bottom heels? Collar bones and toned arms in that strapless dress? What about a flat stomach or some abs with that bikini? And Damn! Those yoga pants on you should be illegal with that ass… Everyone’s drooling now, even that Instagram model lady crush of yours.
- Of course, all the usual benefits of strength training: Increased metabolism, increased feel good hormones, better sleep, decreased stress hormones, higher sex drive, toned muscles… the list goes on.
- Finally, number four was about clothes… number six, well, I’ll reiterate. Sexy. As. Hell. Naked. For you or your guy. I mean hey, who doesn’t want to be able to look in the mirror and be like “Damn. I. Am. FINE!”
How to Properly Strength Train:
A disclaimer here; If you have no idea what you’re doing, I highly suggest paying for the help from a professional, either from whatever gym you attend or from myself, to prevent injury and wasting time.
- Depending on your fitness level and fitness goals, strength training should be done 2 to 5 times a week, sometimes more! The toner you want to be, the more you need to train.
- If you’re training on the lower end (2) per week, you need to focus on full body workouts. If you’re training on the higher end (5+), there are better split patterns to follow, such as a push pull split.
- Remember, the weight needs to be heavy ENOUGH in order to illicit a change in your musculature. Doing three sets of 20 with those 5 lb dumbbells probably won’t increase your strength much. Challenge yourself.
- Cardio is important for your heart, but if done too frequently, can take away from your muscle gains. If you’re going to do cardio in the same day, try to space it apart by a few hours. Again, this is based on fitness goals. I recommend doing HIIT instead of traditional cardio. (To learn more about HIIT, read the HIIT article on this site!).
- Always remember to use proper form. The number one thing I hate seeing, is someone get injured due to improper form. Most machines have pictures of proper form and warning of what NOT to do (I’m looking at you, behind the head lat pulldown people). Even if the machine doesn’t have instructions, we live in the age of smartphones… look up the correct form!
- Write down everything you do, and make sure you’re progressing. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result… that’s called insanity. If you don’t know how to make a program, contact a professional like myself.
At the end of the day, strength training will only help you. Whether your goal is just to look more fit and be healthy, or to get ready to be the hottest girl on the beach, strength training will help you get there. So get out there, pick up some weights and ask for help if you need it. The weights don’t bite… (Hopefully). And always remember, SQUAT DOWN FOR BUTTS!!